The Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) will offer a one-hour webinar entitled "Sovereign Immunity at the PTAB: Gimmick or Genius?" on October 24, 2017 from 2:00 to 3:00 pm (ET). Brendan Johnson of Robins Kaplan, Lissi Mojica of Brooks Kushman, and Shashank Upadhye of Amin Talati Upadhye will address such questions as:
• What is the nature of tribal immunity?
• Do Indian tribes offer special advantages in these deals, or could a patent owner just as well make a deal for a state government to harbor patents?
• What was the basis for the PTAB's earlier decisions this year to grant immunity to state university patent owners such as the University of Florida?
• How does tribal immunity differ from states' immunity?
• Does it make a difference to the legal analysis that the St. Regis Tribe took ownership of patents that were already being challenged at the PTAB?
• Will the PTAB's decision regarding the Allergan case be appealable?
The registration fee for the webinar is $135 (government and academic rates are available upon request). Those interested in registering for the webinar can do so here.