Strafford will be offering a webinar/teleconference entitled "How to Use Broadest Reasonable Interpretation to Your Advantage in Patent Prosecution -- Establishing Scope of Claims, Avoiding Sect. 112(f), Preserving Enforceability" on March 9, 2017 from 1:00 to 2:30 pm (EST). Charles Bieneman and Christopher Francis of Bejin Bieneman will provide guidance for patent prosecution in light of the Broadest Reasonable Interpretation (BRI) standard, and examine recent Federal Circuit decisions and decisions from the USPTO's Patent Trial and Appeal Board that provide practical lessons for using BRI to your advantage in prosecution. The webinar will review the following issues:
• What guidance do Federal Circuit and PTAB decisions give patent counsel on the application of BRI?
• What arguments are effective in overcoming patent examiners' unreasonable claim interpretations?
• Why is defining claim terms in specification and using the definitions critical?
• How can patent counsel distinguish cases where extrinsic evidence has been used to supplement the specification?
• If and when should extrinsic evidence be used?
The registration fee for the webinar is $297. Those interested in registering for the webinar, can do so here.