McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP will be offering a live webinar entitled "Patent-Eligibility Update: Abstract Ideas in the Federal Circuit and USPTO" on February 22, 2017 from 10:00 am to 11:15 am (CT). In this presentation, MBHB attorney and Patent Docs author Michael Borella will review the new case law and USPTO guidance, with an eye toward how each is being applied in practice. Topics to be discussed will include:
• A review of the Enfish, BASCOM, McRO, and Amdocs cases;
• A comparison of these cases to others in which the Federal Circuit found claims to be ineligible, emphasizing important distinctions made by the court;
• Do's and don'ts of claim drafting / amending in light on these developments;
• Introduction of a framework for determining how a given set of claims might be viewed under § 101, with an emphasis on what characteristics makes claimed inventions more likely to be eligible; and
• Open issues not yet answered by the courts.
While there is no fee to participate, attendees must register in advance. Those wishing to register can do so here. CLE credit is pending for the states of California, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, and Virginia.