The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) will be holding its annual BIO International Convention June 23-26, 2014 in San Diego, CA. Founded in 1993, BIO is a nonprofit association seeking supportive biotechnology policies on behalf of more than 1,100 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers, and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. The BIO International Convention serves to educate the public and policymakers about biotechnology, while fostering partnering meetings and other business development activities to keep the biotech industry growing.
Descriptions of the Convention's 125+ Breakout Sessions and six Super Sessions can be obtained here. Among the sessions that may be of interest to Patent Docs readers are:
Tuesday, June 24, 2014
• Burrill State-of-the-Industry Report (Super Session) -- 2:00 - 3:30 pm (Room 6AB)
• View from Director General Francis Gurry, World Intellectual Property Organization -- 2:15 - 2:45 pm (Room 23ABC)
• Pursuing Biotechnology Patent Protection in the U.S. and Latin America -- 3:00 – 4:00 pm (Room 23ABC)
• Show Me the Data! Threshold Patent Application Disclosure Requirements and Post-Filing Evidence Admissibility in the U.S., Europe, Canada, and China -- 4:15 –5:15 pm (Room 23ABC)
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
• View from the Bench-Chief Judge Randall R. Rader -- 9:30 –10:00 am (Room 23ABC)
• Navigating Patent Challenges Under the America Invents Act -- 10:15 - 11:30 am (Room 23ABC)
• As if AIA Hasn’t Brought Enough Change – Patent Litigation Reform is Looming in the US -- 1:45 - 2:45 pm (Room 23ABC)
• Patent Eligibility from the Trenches: Practical Implications of the Supreme Court’s Prometheus and Myriad Decisions -- 3:00 - 4:00 pm (Room 23ABC)
• "Chairman, That Patent Should be Revoked!" - Join the EPO Opposition Mock Workshop and Help Argue the Case -- 4:15 - 5:15 pm (Room 23ABC) -- panel moderated by Patent Docs author Donald Zuhn
Thursday, June 26, 2014
• Scientific American WorldView Super Session - Biotech: We are the World (Super Session) -- 2:00 - 3:30 pm (Room 6AB)
As part of the Convention, more than 1,700 biotech companies, organizations, and institutions will participate in the BIO Exhibition. A searchable list of exhibitors can be found here. Information regarding registration and pricing can be obtained here. Patent Docs Donald Zuhn, Kevin Noonan, Andrew Williams, Sherri Oslick, Michael Greenfield, Josh Bosman, Josh Rich, James DeGiulio, and Nate Chongsiriwatana will be attending BIO as part of the MBHB contingent, and will be reporting on a few of the sessions listed above. Patent Docs readers who may be attending BIO are encouraged to stop by the MBHB booth (#1337).
In addition, the Docs will be attending the MBHB reception at Dublin Square Irish Pub & Grill in San Diego's downtown Gaslamp Quarter on Tuesday, June 24 from 8:00 pm to 1:00 am. Additional information about the reception, including invitations for the event, can be picked up at the MBHB booth on Monday or Tuesday.