• Discover competitive patent filing strategies, tactics, and implications of recent case law in Europe and the U.S.;
• Avoid infringing anti-competition laws by tailoring agreements and learning about the key factors the European Commission look for when conducting their investigations;
• Develop patent strategies to optimize patent lifecycles and extend market dominance;
• Stay one step ahead of competitors by discovering the latest trends and priorities of the EPO and national patent offices;
• Avoid patent infringement when conducting clinical trials and how to use the Bolar Exemption effectively; and
• Obtain Supplementary Protection Certificates (SPCs) to extend patent lifecycles following Novartis.
• Examining what is now patentable in light of Brüstle: The implications for human embryo stem cell research;
• Optimising your SPC strategies & utilising the paediatric extension: Prolonging your patent life cycles and cementing your market position;
• Keynote presentation from the AIPPI;
• Taking advantage of the proposed EU patent court & European patent reform to streamline your IP strategy;
• Avoiding patent infringements in your clinical trials by utilising the Bolar Exemption;
• The implications of Prometheus on the patent eligibility of your gene patents;
• Gain a competitive advantage by aligning your patent strategies with the EPO's latest initiatives & priorities;
• Emerging markets focus afternoon: Successfully overcoming hurdles to the protection & management of IP assets in emerging markets;
• Overcoming regulatory & strategic hurdles to enforcement of your patents in Asia;
• Surmounting the problems arising from inconsistent provisions in Brazil's paradoxical patent law to successfully protect your IP assets;
• Tips, traps and techniques for successfully obtaining & protecting your patents in India & the implications of the first compulsory licence issued in India;
• The impact of the us patent reform on European biotech and pharma companies: Updating and strengthening your global patent strategies;
• The antibody patenting conundrum;
• Obtaining injunctive relief: Provisional enforcement of rights before trial;
• Gain a competitive edge by understanding how the new biosimilar regulatory guidelines in Europe & the U.S. will affect your patent strategy;
• Practical steps to take to protect your patent portfolio following Occlude;
• Minimise the risk of your patent strategy falling foul of anti-competition laws in the U.S. and the EU in an era of heightened regulatory scrutiny;
• Alternative models for protecting your knowhow & intellectual assets: Lessons to be learned from other technology sectors; and
• Minimising the cost of potential litigation through alternative methods of funding.
In addition, two pre-conference workshops will be held on October 9, 2012. The first, entitled "IP Due Diligence Procedure: Comprehensive Practical Guide to Best Practice," will be offered from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, and will provide in-depth, critical insights into the often overlooked aspect of the procedure for conducting IP due diligence in M&A, joint venture, and licensing transactions. The second, entitled "Matters to Be Aware of When Reviewing Patent Settlement Agreements & Distribution Agreements to Minimise the Risk of Infringing Anti-Competition Laws," will be offered from 1:30 to 4:00 pm, and will guide attendees through settlement agreements and provide practical and strategic tips for drafting and reviewing these agreements to ensure you do not fall foul of anti-competition laws in the U.S. or the EU.
A complete brochure for the Biotech & Pharmaceutical Patenting conference, including an agenda, detailed descriptions of conference sessions, list of speakers, and registration form can be obtained here.
The registration fee is £1595 (conference alone), £2095 (conference plus one workshop), or £2495 (conference and both workshops). Those registering on or before September 12, 2012 will receive a £100 discount. Those interested in registering for the conference can do so here, by e-mailing registrations@C5-Online.com, by calling +44 20 7878 6888, or by faxing a registration form to +44 20 7878 6885.
Patent Docs is a media partner of the C5 Biotech & Pharmaceutical Patenting conference.