Law Seminars International (LSI) will be offering a one-hour analysis on "New Best Practices for Patent Prosecution after the AIA" on March 29, 2012 beginning at 1:00 pm (Eastern). Paul R. Gupta of Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP will moderate a panel including Joseph C. Kirincich, the Director & Corporate Counsel for Avaya Inc. and John D. Cowart, the Chief IP Counsel for Teradata Corp., who will provide business perspectives, and Kurt T. Mulville of Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, who will provide a patent litigator's perspective. The panel will address key practical and strategic considerations for businesses in the post-AIA landscape. Among the topics to be covered are:
• How first-inventor-to-file is changing strategies for patent filing and prosecution;
• Impacts of eliminating certain mainstays of patent litigation, such as the best mode requirement and Qui Tam false marking suits;
• The impacts of new Patent Office procedures, such as post grant review;
• The expansion of the prior commercial use defense;
• New prior art issues;
• Conditions on use for opinions of counsel for willfulness defenses;
• How the new joinder of parties rule will alter multiple-defendant patent litigation and venue disputes;
• Areas of the Act likely to generate new litigation, such as the grace period for pre-filing disclosures;
• Likely effects of the Act on patent troll litigation; and
• Impacts of the Act on managing prosecution and litigation costs.
The registration fee is $125 per caller and $50 each additional person on the same line who desires continuing education credit. Those interested in registering for the telebrief, can do so here.