C5 (UK) will be holding its 22nd Forum on Biotech Patenting on March 14-15, 2012 in Munich, Germany. Experienced in-house counsel and their European and U.S. expert legal advisors will provide information on the latest developments and challenges in biotech patenting such as:
• G2/10 decision: Analyzing its impact on the biotech disclaimer practice across Europe;
• Patentability of gene sequence patents: Evaluate recent decisions and developments in Europe and the U.S., including the outcome of Lilly v HGS in the UK Supreme Court and EPO and an update on the Myriad, Prometheus, and Classen cases;
• Latest decisions on patentability of stem cells: Examining the outcome of the recent CJEU decision in Brüstle;
• New patenting and marketing strategies to overcome the challenges of filing SPC applications at an earlier stage;
• Cross-border litigation: Developing successful strategies;
• U.S. Patent Law reform: Discussing the impact of the America Invents Act on European biotech companies; and
• Case law developments in double patenting from a European and U.S. perspective.
• Determining how the G2/10 decision will change biotech disclaimer practice across Europe;
• Examining the patentability of stem cell derived inventions in Europe;
• Recent developments on biotech products and patent considerations for bio-deposits;
• Managing patents for biosimilar products and understanding the Bolar provisions in Europe;
• Tackling diagnostic methods and personalised medicines;
• Process patents and new technologies: Protection of the immediate product of the process;
• Strategies for successful cross-border litigation;
• Thinking ahead: How will your strategies need to change in light of the new initiatives and reforms of EU and U.S. patent laws;
• Patentability of gene sequence patents in Europe and the U.S.;
• Examining case law developments in double patenting;
• To divide, or not to divide, that is the question -- Unity of invention and divisional applications;
• Adopting new patenting and marketing strategies to overcome the challenges of filing your SPC applications at an earlier stage;
• Dosage regimes: A therapeutic method?
• Understanding the "person skilled in the art" concept when litigating patents;
• Reviewing recent case law developments regarding reverse payment settlements;
• The current stance on nanotechnology for medical devices in Europe; and
• Latest biotech patenting regulatory changes and developments in India.
A focus day entitled "The US Patent Reform for Life Science Companies" will also be offered on March 13, 2012. The focus day will offer presentations on the following topics:
• Impact of the new patent law: An overview of the America Invents Act (AIA);
• Analyzing the new "first-to-file" system and "grace period" and its impact on the life science industry;
• Post-grant review proceedings: Identifying opportunities and risks;
• Identifying changes in USPTO practice -- keynote address by Jasemine Chambers, Ph.D., Deputy Administrator for Policy and External Affairs for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office;
• Identifying the potential impact of the AIA on litigation of patent cases in U.S. courts;
• Contrasting the U.S. and the European patent system: Are the opposition procedures proposed in the America Invents Act competitive?
• Discussing potential challenges and opportunities for European life science companies.
An additional post-conference workshop, entitled "Strategies for Claiming Commercial Products in your Biotech Patent Applications," will be held from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm on March 16, 2012.
The agenda for the Biotech Patenting conference can be found here and for the focus day here. A complete brochure for this conference, including an agenda, description of the sessions, list of speakers, and registration form can be downloaded here.
The registration fee for the conference is €1799, for the conference and workshop €2299, for the conference and focus day €2599, for the conference, focus day, and workshop €2797, and for the focus day alone €1099. Those registering by February 17, 2012, will receive a €100 discount. Those interested in registering for the conference can do so here, by calling +44 (0) 20 7878 6888, by faxing a registration form to +44 (0) 20 7878 6885, or by e-mailing registrations@C5-Online.com.