The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) will be holding its annual BIO International Convention on June 27-30, 2011 in Washington, DC. Founded in 1993, BIO is a nonprofit association seeking supportive biotechnology policies on behalf of more than 1,100 biotechnology companies, state and international affiliates, and related organizations, as well as providing business development services for many emerging biotech companies. The BIO International Convention serves to educate the public and policymakers about biotechnology, while fostering partnering meetings and other business development activities to keep the biotech industry growing.
An electronic version of the brochure for the 2011 Convention, including descriptions of the Convention's 125+ Breakout Sessions and six Super Sessions can be obtained here. Among the sessions that may be of interest to Patent Docs readers are:
June 27, 2011
• IP Issues Affecting Biomarker-Based Diagnostics -- 3:45 - 5:00 pm
• A Brave New World: Patent Litigation Tactics and Strategies for Biosimilars (Breakout Session) -- 3:45 - 5:00 pm
June 28, 2011
• The Myriad Case and the Patentability of Isolated DNA Molecules -- 8:30 - 9:45 am
• Ernst & Young's Annual Biotechnology Industry Report (Super Session) -- 10:00 - 11:30 am
• Patents in the Supreme Court -- 10:00 - 11:30 am
• Burril State-of-the-Industry Report (Super Session) -- 2:00 - 3:30 pm
June 29, 2011
• IP Challenges for Personalized Medicine: Navigating Bilski, Myriad, and Prometheus -- 2:00 - 3:30 pm
• Worldview 2011: Scientific American's Regional Bio-Innovation Scorecard (Super Session) -- 3:45 - 5:15 pm
June 30, 2011
• European Patent and Unitary EU Patent: The Changes Ahead -- 10:00 - 11:30 am
As part of the Convention, more than 2,000 biotech companies, organizations, and institutions will participate in the BIO Exhibition. A searchable list of exhibitors can be found here. Information regarding registration and pricing can be obtained here. Patent Docs Donald Zuhn, Kevin Noonan, James DeGiulio, Sherri Oslick, Brad Crawford, and Kwame Mensah will be attending BIO as part of the MBHB contingent, and will be reporting on a number of the sessions listed above as official bloggers at the Convention. Patent Docs readers who may be attending BIO are encouraged to stop by the MBHB booth (#4723 - Hall C).