The Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences (BPAI) will be holding its First Annual Board Conference on April 7, 2010 in Alexandria, VA. The conference will include presentations on the following topics:
• State of the Board -- Chief Judge Michael Fleming
• A View Behind the Curtain -- Vice Chief Judge James Moore, Vice Chief Judge Allen MacDonald, Judge Ken Hairston, and Judge Murriel Crawford
• Practice Tips: Top Ten Mistakes (panel discussion) -- Judge Linda Horner (moderator), Gary Harkcom of Greenblum & Bernstein, P.L.C., Chief Judge Michael Fleming, Judge Jack Jeffery, and Judge Sally Lane
• Winning Your Non-Obviousness Case at the Board -- Michael Messinger of Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox P.L.L.C. and Charles Van Horn of Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner LLP
• Luncheon Speaker -- Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent & Trademark Office, David Kappos
• Inter Partes Reexam (panel discussion) -- Stephen Kunin of Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, L.L.P. (moderator), Brad Pedersen of Patterson, Thuente, Skaar & Christensen, P.A., Todd Baker of Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, L.L.P., and Gregory Morse of the USPTO Central Reexam Unit
• Panel with Federal Circuit Judges: Role of the Board (panel discussion) -- Teresa Rea of Crowell & Moring LLP (moderator), Chief Circuit Judge Paul Michel of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Circuit Judge Randal Rader of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and Chief Judge Michael Fleming of the BPAI
The conference agenda can be found here.
The conference will be held in the Madison Auditorium at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 600 Dulany Street, Alexandria, VA. The registration fee for the conference is $100. Those interested in registering for the conference can do so here; the registration deadline is March 30, 2010.