By Christopher P. Singer --
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office sent out an e-Commerce update on July 31, 2008, notifying EFS users of enhancements that will be introduced with EFS-Web 1.4 (to be released on August 17, 2008). For one, users will be able to launch their e-mail programs in EFS-Web and send Acknowledgement Receipts and Pre-Acknowledgement Receipts to any desired address (such as a dedicated docketing e-mail address). The USPTO website lists several other enhancements including:
• BIS Statement on Login Screen: Registered e-Filers must check the checkbox indicating that they have read and accepted the terms of the BIS (Bureau of Industry and Security) Statement on the Login screen prior to authentication (see the EAR (Export Administration Regulation) section of the FAQ found here for more information).
• Sequence Listing Enhancements: Enhancements will allow for uploading one sequence listing (.txt) file up to 100 MB per submission as a separately uploaded file (because it is in text format). Sequence listing files that exceed 100 MB can be submitted on compact disc via Express Mail. EFS-Web will also display a warning if the sequence listing does not conform to the ST.24 or ST.25 format.
• View Saved Submissions by Customer Number: Registered e-Filers will be able to view Saved Submission packages created for new applications that are associated with their Customer Numbers.
• PAIR Button: Registered e-Filers will be able to launch their e-filed applications in Private PAIR with a click of the PAIR button on the Last 40 Acknowledgement Receipts screen.
• Delete Button on the Attach Document Screen: e-Filers will be able to delete unwanted files prior to Upload and Validate.
• Practitioner Registration Status Warning: Registered practitioners will receive a warning to contact the Office of Enrollment and Discipline (OED) if their registration status is not active to practice before the USPTO.
• National Stage Enhancements: When filing a National Stage application under 35 U.S.C. § 371, e-Filers will be able to edit the PCT Number and International Filing Date on the Application Data Screen. EFS-Web will warn applicants if the PCT Number and Filing Date are mismatched.
• First Action Interview Warning on the Attach Document Screen: e-Filers requesting enrollment in the First Action Interview (FAI) pilot program must check a checkbox to confirm compliance with FAI eligibility requirements.
• Fee Codes: Since priority documents are now free of charge, the 8007 Fee Code will be removed from the PCT Calculate Fee screen. The 1708 and 1463 Fee Codes have been added to the PCT Calculate Fee screen. The 1814 Fee Code (Statutory disclaimer) will appear under the "Miscellaneous Patent Fees" and "Post Allowance & Post Issuance Fees" categories.